I love chatting to experts in their field, people who actually practise what they preach and have knowledge to back it all up. Kathleen Alleaume certainly fits that bill!
Having dedicated just over 10 years to running her private practice, The Right Balance, Kathleen has established herself as a leading figure among health and fitness experts.
An Accredited Exercise Physiologist and Nutritionist, with a B.S. degree in Exercise Science and a Masters degree specialising in Human Nutrition, Kathleen has experience counselling a range of clients from sports enthusiasts to business professionals.
Lucky for us, Kathleen is passionate about translating the ‘sciency jargon’ of health and fitness into useful, bite-sized pieces of info. Today she shares with us who she is, her top tips for healthy living and sneak peaks from her new e-book, ’10 Days to a Healthier You’.
For the people who aren’t familiar with you (or just want to know more), tell us a bit about yourself?
I have 2 kids, Ethan (2 years) and Isabel (3 months old). As a former Australian Sports Acrobatics champion at the age of 14, I’ve lived and breathed a healthy lifestyle since a very young age. I studied exercise and nutrition science at university, then started my private consulting practice, which has been running for just over 10 years.
I published my first book: What’s Eating You? Find Balance with Food and Lose Weight in 2012, then released my e-book: 10 Days to a Healthier You in 2013. I am currently working on another book in relation to pregnancy.
What can people expect from your latest e-book, ’10 Days to a Healthier You’?
’10 Days to a Healthier You’ is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle.
It shows readers how setting clear food and exercise goals leads to long-term results. While weight loss is likely to occur, the program is more about becoming the healthiest version of yourself. Sky-rocketing energy, improved digestion and boosted immunity are just some of the benefits!
What are your top tips for a healthy lifestyle?
1. Hydrate. Always quench your thirst with water first.
2. Eat a Rainbow. Get a balance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants by eating fresh seasonal produce covering all colours of the rainbow.
3. Chomp. Chew each bite 10 to 12 times before swallowing. Eating slowly brings mindfulness to mealtimes, improves digestion, and allows you to feel a sense of fullness without a need to overeat.
4. Eat ‘Real’ food first. Real foods (aka wholefoods) are foods that are close as possible to the way nature intended.
5. Find 30. Aim for 30-minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days of the week.
What are your goals and aspirations in life?
To be the best person I can be and also a good role model for my children. I am passionate about helping others to achieve a healthy lifestyle and I’m lucky that I am able to share this with so many people in my job and through my books.
How important is clean, nutrient rich food in your diet?
This is essential. I think of food as nourishment for optimal health and well-being. I focus on eating a wide variety wholefoods to get a range of nutrients, as well as foods that are in season. It’s also important to me that my food tastes great, so I’ve created 40 healthy and delicious recipes, which are featured in my new e-book.
What is your favourite recipe?
Below is one of my favourite, simple summer recipes that can be whipped up in no time. It’s low in saturated fat, rich in plant protein and antioxidants. It’s also vegetarian and gluten-free. Extracted from my e-book: ’10 Days to a Healthier You’.
Baby Beet, Chickpea & Feta Salad
95g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
30g reduced-fat feta, crumbed
60 g baby beets, rinsed and drained
1 cup (80 g) cooked sweet potato, cut into 2 cm cubes 1 tspn olive oil dressing
Freshly squeezed lemon
Handful of rocket leaves to garnish (optional).
1. Microwave or steam sweet potato until tender. Set aside.
2. Combine chickpeas, tomatoes, feta, baby beets and sweet potato in a mixing bowl.
3. In a mixing bowl, squeeze ¼ of fresh lemon and drizzle with olive oil. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Garnish with rocket leaves and serve.
*10 Days to a Healthier You costs $14.95, and is available at www.kathleenalleaume.com.au
Inside the e-book you will find:
- Over 40 inspiring recipes based on seasonal foods
- Kathleen’s 7 Daily Rituals she swears by
- Nutritionally balanced and health enhancing menu plans
- Delicious recipes based on everyday supermarket foods
- Free downloads including exercises and food diary
- Essential Pantry/Fridge & Shopping List
- Nutritious snack suggestions
- Smart eating out tips
- Expert Advice on how to maintain weight loss post ten days