I’m going to let you in on a little secret, and I don’t want you to judge me too hastily until you understand all the facts.
I once had an addiction. Yes me, and it wasn’t just one substance…
For the last 2 years I have had it under control. Well, maybe not 100% under control because you know the saying… once an addict always an addict, so let’s just say I have been in rehabilitation since I made the conscious decision to lead a better, healthier lifestyle.
But 3 days ago, for one reason or another I fell off the wagon. Actually crashed it, flew towards the ground and face planted into a big bowl of sugar, Ben & Jerry’s to be exact. Two tubs and yes they were large, followed by some pizza and other such simple-sugar laden foods not fit for online publishing.
The reason I am telling you this and possibly tarnishing your view of my holier than (I don’t know… think of the healthiest and fitness person you know) lifestyle, is because I want you to know that I too am human who side steps off the health path for time to time. It happens. The only difference now is how I react after it happens.
The old addicted me would have continued to spiral into negativity (and continued to eat whatever I knew I shouldn’t eat), not even thinking that all I have to do is stop, walk away from the poison of choice, and change direction.
Now I know to change my mindset at that exact point from, ‘I’m a failure, fat and might as well keep going until Monday when I can be healthy and exercise again’ to, ‘Shit, that got a bit out of hand- that food make me feel like crap and obviously isn’t good for me. I’ll go for a walk and then prepare a healthy vegetable soup for dinner.’
Easy, positive, and you don’t spend another 3 days binging until Monday comes to start that elusive new diet.
Just eat clean people. That is how I have learnt to fight my addictions and overcome negativity. Eat clean at least 80% of the time and then really enjoy what ever you want the remaining 20% of the time (and if that happens to be healthy ‘bad’ food like dark chocolate and fruit then even better!).
So there you go, it’s not a cure to cancer but it is just a gentle reminder that no one is perfect. Not even someone who works (or moonlights…) in the nutrition and the fitness world. You fall off the wagon, just dust yourself off, put down the candy bar and walk away feeling good that you changed direction.
P.S… if you need a helping hand to quit sugar, then do yourself a favor and buy the e-book on the right hand side of this page from Sarah Wilson for only $15.
Awesomeness! We need each other to help us when we learn that our wills are weak. Just say no to the sugars. We are geting people together on our blog in order to kick unhealthy habits together! Care to join us?
I know where you’re coming from; we all fall off track – from time to time – but it’s whether or not we continue to stay on course – that truly matters. Great post and I look forward to sharing more with you:))
I really like your writing style. The way you start out this post just sucks you right in. I think the key takeaway is that you are human, like the rest of us ;), and from time to time fall off the wagon. The key is you pick yourself up and get back on again. For me, i want to live a healthy life that is manageable throughout the rest of my life. And that means the occassional pizza or chedder cheeseball. I make up for that by exercising and eating a ton of fruits and veggies 95% of the time.
It happens to the best of us, believe me. I fell into a huge bread pudding muffin with whiskey sauce yesterday. My belly is already remonstrating me for it (ugh). Good thing today is intermittent fast day!
6 days out of 7 I eat no sugar. I don’t even eat refined carbs until dinner on most days. I’m still a sugar addict though! 😉
It’s great you have learned to not panic if you have a slip up. It doesn’t bother me now if I eat something that is not nutritious. I just make sure that the very next thing I put in my mouth is good for my health. Then back on track after that!